SUPPLIES & LOGISTICS
Teams are often supported by generous donations from corporate sponsorship and have found their arrival in the host countries to be welcoming, organized, and efficient.
- Medical registration is required to practice in the host country and is coordinated by the team leader.
- Volunteers pay for their own airfare to the country of destination.
- Arriving teams are met at the airport and are escorted to their accommodation near the host hospital the following day.
- Teams usually stay in local low-cost accommodation such as a local hotel. The total cost of accommodation and internal travel is usually less than £200.
- Patients have already been selected by the time operating teams arrive.
- Local anaesthetic allows patients to be treated on an outpatient basis, although some teams have opted for general or spinal anaesthesia.
- Teams may be required to bring their own local anaesthetic, gloves, gowns, drapes, analgesics and antibiotics, and sutures. Meshes are provided by Operation Hernia.
- Green or blue scrubs are required for the operating room.
- A local mobile phone is recommended, and can be coordinated through hosts.
- Some teams bring small gifts to give to patients.